Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Faceboom

It's official: The baby boomer Facebook infiltration is complete.

In fact, I am even friends with some of my grandparents on Facebook. (As a side note, the generation before the "Baby Boomers" is apparently called the "Silent Generation." Seriously...see for yourself: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080731161621AAVLnyh)

Generation X members across America are frantically de-tagging incriminating photos and erasing inappropriate posts.

I personally love it. And I am pretty sure I am in the minority of Generation X. Facebook is not just a college social networking site anymore. It is now a true "Facebook."

My brother is fighting the losing fight by claiming he is not going to censor his facebooking practices just because the rents, aunts, uncles and cousins can now view his movements. I think he has purposefully made his messages more crude, inappropriate and politically incorrect to scare the Faceboomers away. This type of action did not occur nearly as often before the oldies joined. Just this morning, I received a message with not only the F word, but a homosexual slur- which received the obligatory "boys..." message from my mother. Now parents can voice their disapproving opinions by comments on status messages.

I also saw one of his messages inspiring my underage uncle to get "pants-sh**ing drunk" upon arriving for his freshman year of college. That's pleasant.

(Yes, I have two uncles that are younger than I am...long story.)

I will not be censoring my Facebook practices either, but I never was quite so...blunt...in the first place.

The Faceboom movement has provided much entertainment for me. Many Faceboomers (and especially Silent Generation members) find Faceboom as a convenient replacement for the US mail. If Twitter's 140 character limit applied, many of these folks would have some issues. A recent post my one of my friend's mothers on his wall (names have been changed to protect the innocent):

"Hi Josh, It's mom. I forgot to ask you on the phone last night if you were impacted at all by the whole Michael Jackson memorial service. Are you close to the Staples Center? That was quite the event! Sad ending to a sad life - he sure could entertain though! I hope to see you two sometime over the weekend if you get the chance. I would like to go see Public Enemy, maybe Sunday. It's going to be so hot here the only logical thing to do will be to sit in a nice dark, cool movie theater. Join us if you can. OK, you're going to start making fun of me again for this post so ICFN - That stands for" I'll close for now." :-) Say hi to Deborah. Love, Mom"

I cannot wait until this Faceboomer joins the future Baby Boomer Twitter infiltration and must write in all acronyms.

The same mother- but posting on a wall of her son's friend (again, names have been changed):

"Hi Tommy! Thanks so much for adding me as a Facebook friend! I love this Facebook - it sorta lets you be a snoop without feeling guilty about it. Just kidding - I promise I won't be a pest on here. I will be looking at your pics though. Congrats on Law School. You have such a bright future ahead of you - be proud of yourself!! If law school doesn't work out, you could audition for the Frankie Valli part in Jersey Boys. I saw the play in Chicago and the lead looks just like you. It was uncanny, the resemblance. Josh told me you could sing so who knows?! Anyway, take care of yourself and please, I would love to see you the next time your home the same time as Josh - I'll make dinner. Take care for now. Love, Irene

I could write a book on this particular mother's messages. The Facebook Book. In fact, she wrote it already in the form of Facebook wall posts. Awesome.

Of course, both messages received "likes" from several of "Josh" and "Tommy's" friends which makes the whole situation much better.

I am very excited for the Silent Generation to get a hang of this thing and start writing even more formal and lengthy messages. Can't wait.

In the family of one of my work friends, Faceboom has become the source of conflict and argument. A new faceboomer, unfamiliar with FB etiquette, decided to tag herself in every photo that she liked and "wanted to keep in her own album"- none of which she was actually in. Grandparents also became upset when a photo was posted of a party they were not invited to. Oops. Apparently, Faceboom is the new Thanksgiving table- a wonderfully new, more polite and exciting way to get drunk and yell at Uncle Larry for buying the cousins beer.

A not so pleasant side-effect of Faceboom is the addition of younger family members to Facebook. I am definitely more scared of what a 12-year-cousin is going to see than my parents. I also don't think that they have quite caught onto the fact that everyone can see their messages.

Welcome to the brave new world everyone-where grandparents and infants alike can have their own web pages and post whatever they want without being judged. I am scared, confused, and entertained all at the same time.

4 comments:

  1. God help us all and God help my diminishing shots at a political career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Love Josh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I am friends with all of my aunts and uncles on 'The Book' but only my mom makes comments on what she thinks is inappropriate.
    P.S. Lance Armstrongs baby has a twitter @maxarmstrong

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's your Aunt Sandy. I am guilty. The Babyboomers (Of which I am) have also infiltrated FB and we are 50-60. Our posts are more of a new grandbabies (with pics and videos) and our kids (some of who have dogs as kids now). It's crazy and addicting at the same time. I don't wanna go to rehab-I say no, no, no! Peace out!

    ReplyDelete